Transformer 4.0 : Digital Revolution of Power Transformers
The Transformer 4.0 (TRF40) project seeks to introduce the digital transformation in power transformers, where EFACEC has a global leadership position. Aiming this transformation, a comprehensive research plan focused on the Digital Twin (DT) concept will be implemented.
This DT, as virtual counterpart of the physical system will enable disruptive approaches in the transformer design and manufacturing, with new communication models, and to offer new added value services, such as intelligent condition monitoring, preventive maintenance, aging evaluation under determined servicing conditions, among others.
Following the physical product during its whole life cycle through a DT enabled platform powered with optimization and artificial intelligence tools, will enable valuable insights about designing future systems, and predicting the system’s response to different types of disruptions in the grid. Furthermore, digital manufacturing will be explored through additive manufacturing, which has the potential to revolutionize the design and manufacturing of power transformers. This feature integrated with the Digital Twin platform will allow disruptive approaches in the manufacturing and servicing of transformers.
This project joins complementary research competencies: EFACEC, as manufacturer of power transformers, INESCTEC (computer science, industry and innovation) and INEGI (mechanical and industrial engineering) as a Portuguese research institutes and the MIT, namely Sociotechnical Systems Research Centre, enabling a comprehensive and multidisciplinary research program.
Although this sector has been a conservative innovator, the proposed research project will allow to prepare the conventional power transformers to the complex challenges, trends, needs and opportunities of a fast evolving ‘Energy 4.0’ sector.
|Scientific Area||Digital Transformation in Manufacturing|
Cristiano Pereira Coutinho
Senior Mechanical Engineer EFACEC
|Participating Institutions||INESC TEC ; INEGI|
|PT Research Team||From INESC TEC : |
Prof. António Lucas Soares
Filipa Rente Ramalho
Ricardo Teixeira Sousa
From INEGI :
João Paulo Pereira
Dr. Donna H Rhodes
Systems Engineering Advancement Research Initiative
|Publications|| – Azevedo, M., Tavares, S., & Soares, A. L. (2020). The Digital Twin as a Knowledge-Based Engineering Enabler for Product Development in: Boosting Collaborative Networks 4.0. PRO-VE 2020. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, vol 598, Springer, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-62412-5_37 |
• Eric Rebentisch, Donna Rhodes, Antonio Lucas Soares, Ricardo Zimmermann, Sergio Tavares, “The digital twin as an enabler of digital transformation: a sociotechnical perspective”, IEEE 19th International Conference on Industrial Informatics 2021. https://doi.org/10.1109/INDIN45523.2021.9557455″>
• “A Vision for a Platform-Based Digital-Twin Ecosystem”, Henrique Silva, Miguel Azevedo, António Lucas Soares, 17th IFAC Symposium on Information Control Problems in Manufacturing 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2021.08.088
• “Digital Platforms as Enablers of Smart Product-Service Systems”. Henrique Silva, António Lucas Soares, 22nd IFIP/SOCOLNET WORKING CONFERENCE ON VIRTUAL ENTERPRISES 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-85969-5_47
• “Adapting Concept of Operations Analysis for Digital Transformation,” J. L. F. P. Cardoso, E. Rebentisch and D. H. Rhodes, in International Society of Transdisciplinary Engineering (ISTE) Conference, 2022 https://doi.org/10.3233/ATDE220665
• “”On the use of sociotechnical systems design in industry: digital transformation processes and artifacts,”,” E. Rebentisch, A. L. Soares, D. H. Rhodes, R. Zimmermann and J. L. F. P. Cardoso, in in Socio-Technical Perspectives in Information Systems (STPIS) Conference, 2022.
• “”Cognitive Digital Twin Enabling Smart Product-Services Systems: A Literature Review,” D. V. Enrique and A. L. Soares, in Collaborative Networks in Digitalization and Society 5.0. PRO-VE 2022. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, vol 662. Springer, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-14844-6_7
• ” A Digital Twin Platform-Based Approach to Product Lifecycle Management: Towards a Transformer 4.0,” H. Silva, T. Moreno, A. Almeida and A. L. Soares, in Innovations in Industrial Engineering II. icieng 2022. Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering. Springer, Cham., 2023. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-09360-9_2
– A. Dutra, R. T. L. Ferreira, H. B. Resende, L. M. Oliveira, B. J. Blinzler and L. E. Asp “Identification of Representative Equivalent Volumes on the Microstructure of 3D-Printed Fiber-Reinforced Thermoplastics Based on Statistical Characterization,” Polymers, vol. 14, no. 972, 2022 https://doi.org/10.3390/polym14050972
– A. Dutra, C. Costa, J. R. Matos, B. F. Oliveira, L. M. Oliveira and C. P. Coutinho,” Effects of Printing Parameters on Geometrical and Mechanical Properties of 3D-Printed High-Performance Thermoplastics, Toward the Digitalization of Power Transformers.,” in Proceedings of the 2022 International Additive Manufacturing Conference. 2022 International Additive Manufacturing Conference, Lisbon, 2022 https://doi.org/10.1115/IAM2022-91989
• “Knowledge-Based Engineering supported by the Digital-Twin: the case of the Power Transformer at EFACEC”, Miguel Alves de Azevedo, Master in Information Science, Faculty of Engineering, University of Porto,2020
• “Digital-twins for structural assessment: model updating techniques” by Patrícia Carvalheira for Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, University of Porto.,2021
• “A Mixed-Integer Optimization Model for Efficient Power Transformer Maintenance and Operation” by João Dionísio for Master’s degree in Computer Science, Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Sciences of the University of Porto, 2021.
• “Development of Identification of Viable Dissolved Gas Analysis Subsets for Power Transformers” by José Pinto for Master’s degree in Data Science of the Faculty of Sciences, University of Porto,2021.
• “Data-driven Knowledge-Based Engineering Supported by the Digital Twin” by Sthefan Gabriel Berwanger for Master’s degree in Information Science, Department of Informatics Engineering, Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto, Porto, 2022.
• “Development of methodologies for numerical model updating based on experimental data” by Joel Alves Silva for Master’s degree, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Aveiro, UA, Aveiro, 2022.
• “Towards a Digital-Twin Based, Multi-sided Market of Data-enabled Product- Services Systems”, Henrique Diogo Silva. Doctoral Programme in Digital Media, started 2020, FEUP.
– MINLP for Power Transformer maintenance and operation. Poster presented at: XXII APDIO’s Congress; November 6-8, 2022; University of Évora, Portugal.; Authors: Dionísio, J., Pedroso, J., (2020)
– Dantzig-Wolfe decomposition for a MINLP for Power Transformer maintenance and operation. Presentation at: MOM Seminar; September 14, 2022; Zuse Institute Berlin, Germany.; Authors: Dionísio, J., Pedroso, J., (2020)
– Transformer 4.0- Digital Revolution of Power Transformers; Authors: Efacec: C. P. Coutinho, S.M.O. Tavares, F. Gonçalves, A. Matos, M. Pinto, C. Linhares, H. Mendes, L. Félix, C. Novais, N. Afonso; INESC-TEC: A. L. Soares), R. T. Sousa, V. Esteves, J. F. Pinto, J. P. Pedroso, H. D. Silva, R. Augusto Zimmermann; MIT: D. Rhodes, E. Rebentisch; INEGI: S. Esteves L. Oliveira, J. P. Patrício https://eposter.pt/mitportugal/
|What the media says||News: |
– University of Porto News
– Ambiente Magazine
– Jornal de Negócios
– Jornal Económico
– Sapo Tek
– Mais tecnologia
– Smart Energy
– Power Transformers News
– MIT Sociotechnical Systems Research Center (SSRC)
– Compete 2020
– Compete 2020